Vila Real de Santo António
The municipality of Vila Real de Santo Antonio is situated at the extreme east of the Algarve. It is the smallest of the sixteen municipalities of the Algarve and the only territory which is not contiguous. The western part, where the parish of Vila Nova de Cacela is located, and one eastern part , where the municipality headquarters and Monte Gordo are situated. Vila Real de Santo Antonio has excellent accesses to Faro (highway A22) and Andaluzia (Highway A49), being about 40 minutes 'away from the Airport of Faro and 1 hour and 10 minutes' distant from Seville.
Vila Real de Santo Antoniop was founded on 1774 in the River Guadiana estuary, having followed a similar geometrical line as the one defined for the city of Lisbon, after the Great Earthquake of 1755. It started to be the new headquarters of the municipality, having substituted Cacela.
The abundance of fish in the Algarvian coast, especially tunny, attracted immigrants from Italy, from Greece and from Spain, who built many canning fish factories and who developed the fisheries, which became the basis of the economy of the municipality.
From the last decades of the 20th century onwards, as was already happening all over the Algarve, Vila Real also betted on tourism as the main activity for its development.
The whole eastern part of the Algarve, formed by the councils of Vila Real de Santo Antonio, Castro Marim and Tavira, display a great potentiality of development, offering excellent perspectives of revenue for the real estate investment.
The municipality offers the most extensive beaches with the warmest water of the Algarve (Monte Gordo and Manta Rota). Here is, also, the biggest and best sportive complex of the Algarve. They found here very high quality tourism developments, namely those golf boosted (in a radius of 30km - there are about ten 18 hole golf courses and three recreation harbours).
Want to find properties in Vila Real de Santo António?
Click here to find those properties.